Pro Life in TN

My photo
Pro Life thoughts in a pro choice world through the eyes of a convert. I took early retirement after working in the social work and Human Resources fields but remain active by being involved in pro life education, lobbying and speaking .

Adoption

Adoption

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sir Terry Pratchett calls for euthanasia

 Quotes from the article below are telling and chilling..... it is all about that wonderful choice isn't it? Choice has come to mean death in the womb for those labeled unwanted and now to no surprise it is used to champion death outside the womb to those who are deemed to have no use anymore. I know it says it is the choice of the one to die, but it is a small step to those who are deemed "useless eaters."
Remember that term? Watch the movie Expelled and you will be reminded.  My mother will turn 90 on March 9th. She is surprised that she has lived this long. I remember when  that she said she did not want to live past 82. She was 80 then, if I remember correctly. But guess what;  it is not her choice. God knew when he put her on this earth and He will determine when to take her off. I learned that lesson with my late husband. God decides not me. Sir Pratchell does not mention religious beliefs in this article so I looked it up. He was not raised in a religious home and was an only child.... so this quote is not surprising. "By the time I was 14 I was too smart for my own God.It is all about him. He know better than God that he does not believe in. The other thing I noticed is the introduction of the tribunal who is charged with the acting to the good of the society and the individual. Hmmmm....sound familiar? How did society get a say here, I thought it was the choice of the individual?
*********************************************************************************
If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice."

In his lecture, Shaking Hands With Death, the author will volunteer to be a test case before a euthanasia tribunal himself.

"Choice is very important in this matter. But there will be some probably older, probably wiser GPs, who will understand. The tribunal would be acting for the good of society as well as that of the applicant – and ensure they are of sound and informed mind, firm in their purpose, suffering from a life-threatening and incurable disease and not under the influence of a third party.

Sir Terry Pratchett calls for euthanasia tribunals

Author wants euthanasia tribunals to give sufferers from incurable diseases the right to medical help to end their live

guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 February 2010 10.03 GMT 


terry pratchett
Author Sir Terry Pratchett has called for euthanasia tribunals to give people the right to end their lives. Photograph: guardian.co.uk
The author Sir Terry Pratchett is calling for euthanasia tribunals to give sufferers from incurable diseases the right to medical help to end their lives.
Pratchett will insist in his Dimbleby lecture, to be broadcast tonight, that "the time is really coming" for legalising assisted death.
Two polls published today back his views. Of more than 1,000 people interviewed for a BBC Panorama programme, 73% believed friends or relatives should be able to assist the suicide of a terminally ill loved one. A YouGov poll of 2,053 people for the Telegraph produced even stronger support, with 80% saying that relatives should not be prosecuted, and 75% backing a change in the law.
Pratchett, author of the bestselling Discworld fantasy novels, was diagnosed two years ago with a rare form of early onset Alzheimer's disease – a discovery he memorably described, when he broke the news on the Discworld News website, as "an embuggerance".
In his lecture, Shaking Hands With Death, the author will volunteer to be a test case before a euthanasia tribunal himself.

The tribunal panels would include a legal expert in family matters and a doctor with experience of serious long-term illness.
"If granny walks up to the tribunal and bangs her walking stick on the table and says 'Look, I've really had enough, I hate this bloody disease, and I'd like to die thank you very much young man', I don't see why anyone should stand in her way."
He said there was no evidence from countries where assisted dying is allowed of granny being coerced into dying so relatives could get their hands on her money.
"Choice is very important in this matter. But there will be some probably older, probably wiser GPs, who will understand. The tribunal would be acting for the good of society as well as that of the applicant – and ensure they are of sound and informed mind, firm in their purpose, suffering from a life-threatening and incurable disease and not under the influence of a third party.
"If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice."
His lecture comes a week after Kay Gilderdale was cleared of attempted murder for helping her 31-year-old daughter, Lynn, to commit suicide following years of suffering from the chronic fatigue syndrome ME.
However, days earlier Frances Inglis, who killed her 22-year-old son by heroin injection believing he was left in a "living hell" after severe brain damage in a road accident, was found guilty of murder and sentenced by majority verdict to a minimum of nine years in jail.
Pratchett is the first novelist invited to deliver the annual BBC lecture, the 34th in honour of the veteran broadcaster Richard Dimbleby.
He has already criticised the existing law and the risk faced by any relatives who help a family member to die of being charged with murder.
Of his own Alzheimer's, he said: "It is not nice and I do not wish to be there for the endgame." He is a patron of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, and has donated £500,000 of his own money for research.
"I don't think people are particularly bothered about death, it's the life before death that worries us," he said in a recent BBC television interview.

No comments:

Followers