Pro Life in TN

My photo
Pro Life thoughts in a pro choice world through the eyes of a convert. I took early retirement after working in the social work and Human Resources fields but remain active by being involved in pro life education, lobbying and speaking .

Adoption

Adoption

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bill advancing for TN to opt out of paying for abortion services in state health exchange

Good for Matthew Hill....being a pro life advocate.....I recently decided to review the fine print on my own policy under BCBS of TN. I purchase my own insurance on the open market. I was able to lower my premimums by selecting an insurance that carved out maternity benefits as there is no possibility of needing them....but I discovered that abortion was covered...so I called my rep....if I don't need maternity benefits there is no way abortion is ever going to be needed and I wanted to opt out not only to save more money but because I don't want to support abortion in any way....not possible I was told. This is not a "carve out" option.


Tennessee would opt out of using state tax money to pay for abortion services in state health care exchanges under legislation passed on a voice vote by the House Commerce Committee on Tuesday.
The bill is sponsored in the House by state Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough.
Health exchanges were included in the health care reform bill passed by Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama. House Speaker Emeritus Jimmy Naifeh, D-Covington, asked Hill for an explanation of the bill and pointed out abortion restrictions were already in the health care reform bill.

“The state has to take action on it to opt ourselves out of it so our tax money isn’t used for (abortion),” Hill told Naifeh.
“You obviously feel like this is necessary in spite of what they have in the bill, therefore you wouldn’t have had it here I assume?” Naifeh asked Hill.
“That is correct,” Hill said.
According to the state’s Fiscal Review Office, Obama issued an executive order ensuring the health care reform bill “be consistent” with longstanding restrictions on the use of federal funds for abortions.

“The provisions in the bill should not put the state in jeopardy of losing federal funds or result in sanctions imposed against the state for not meeting mandated federal regulation requirements. ... Currently, the TennCare (Medicaid) program reimburses for abortions in the cases of rape or incest as required by current federal law,” the office pointed out.

State Rep. Eric Swafford, R-Pikeville, asked Hill if his bill was a “preemptive strike” for what could happen with health care reform.
“I think it is partially that as well as also an option given to each individual state by the federal (health care reform) legislation,” Hill answered.

State Rep. Brenda Gilmore, D-Nashville, noted Hill’s legislation had broader language prohibiting coverage for abortion services under “any health care plan” related to federal reform legislation.

“It seems that this legislation, because of what has been done at the federal level, I think is premature and probably not necessary,” she told Hill.

“I would respectfully disagree with that,” Hill responded. “I feel it is extremely necessary because ... we can continue to ensure our Tennessee tax money does not go to fund abortions at the federal level.”

Hill’s legislation now moves on to the House Calendar and Rules Committee for consideration and a subsequent House floor vote.

For more information, go to www.capitol.tn.gov. The bill’s number is HB 2681.

No comments:

Followers