Pro Life in TN

My photo
Pro Life thoughts in a pro choice world through the eyes of a convert. I took early retirement after working in the social work and Human Resources fields but remain active by being involved in pro life education, lobbying and speaking .

Adoption

Adoption

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Abby to Fr. Frank: He saves babies, he heals me.

He saves babies, he heals me.

by Abby Brannam Johnson on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 4:24pm
Fr. Frank Pavone has been a staple in my house for many years…even
during my Planned Parenthood years. Every week I would record and watch
“Defending Life.”  I enjoyed watching him, even if I disagreed.  I loved how
outspoken he was and how he didn’t seem to live in the gray…you know, everything
seemed black and white for him…right and wrong was clear.
I remember watching him during the Terri Schiavo tragedy.  I was
drawn to his gentle spirit.  I had seen two sides to him…or was it? One side was
so unabashedly, unapologetically and passionately against abortion.  The other
was a man who had an incredibly compassionate heart and a kind spirit…this was
the man who was helping a family grieve the loss of their daughter.  But now, I
see they are the same.  Fr. Frank is for life...all life.  His compassion for
life fuels his passion.


A few years later, I looked out my office window and couldn’t
believe it.  Was that really Fr. Frank Pavone standing and praying outside MY
abortion clinic??  I looked harder, but couldn’t get a clear view because of our
iron fence.  I ran to the front of the building so I could look at the security
camera.  I zoomed in and there he was…the priest I had been watching for many
years.  He had been streaming into my home week after week, all while I was
working at an abortion clinic.  I had two employees who were Catholic.  They
recognized him as well.  I had an unshakable desire to sprint outside and
introduce myself.  After all, I felt like I knew him.  I felt a connection to
him, as strange as that may sound.  I asked my co-workers if they thought it
would be inappropriate to go outside to meet him.  They gave me a bewildered
look and said, “NO! You run an abortion clinic! He doesn’t want to meet you!”  I
figured they were right.  I went back to my office and watched him pray outside
of my clinic.  When he left, I felt like I had missed an opportunity that I
would always regret.
Even though I didn’t get to meet him that day, our meeting came
later…after I had resigned from Planned Parenthood.  I remember meeting him for
the first time and immediately feeling a sense of peace.  He was not a rock
star, he was a healer.  He was not a celebrity, he was a servant.  He wanted to
help me heal…I needed it.
Fr. Frank is the reason I am where I am today…emotionally and
spiritually.  He has given me guidance and direction that I couldn’t find from
anyone else.  I am not a particularly emotional person.  The first time I heard
Fr. Frank speak at an event about clinic workers, I wept.  How could he see
inside my heart?  How did he know my thoughts?  Because this is his life. He
isn’t just in this for the children; he is in this for people like me, too…the
wounded, the broken, the angry, the scarred.
I look at how abortion has crept into our Christian culture and
see thousands of clergy who are scared to defend our unborn children.  And then
I see Fr. Frank.  He is a man who is always ready to speak the truth.  A man who
is always ready to stand up for what is right.  He is a man of courage.  I am
proud to stand by him during this time of trial.
“No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every
tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.” Isaiah
54:17

No comments:

Followers